logo
indirizzo

occhio..
CHURCHES
There is an important parish church at Vigo Lomaso dedicated to San Lorenzo (St. Lawrence), the oldest in the area, first mentioned in 1205, though archaeological finds and other remains indicate a much older origin. papaveriThe church with its remarkable 13th century portal constitutes the principle element of a more extensive complex of the parish church of Lomaso comprising the baptistery, the rectory and the cemetery. The third church in the area, that of Banale was based at Tavodo, a village which until recently was still characterised by houses with thatched roofs. The church of the Assumption dating from the 12th century is one of the most noteworthy religious buildings in all Trentino and preserves the remains of early Christian and medieval buildings. Its organ is of special interest, built by Damiano Damiani in 1834 and was restored in 1999.
The church of San Giorgio at Dorsino is also of interest, as are the small churches typical of the outlying hamlets of San Lorenzo in Banale (guided tours available each Friday during the summer) with noteworthy frescos by the Baschenis, itinerant painters who worked for two centuries in the western part of Trentino.
..
Some of the area’s finest remains bearing witness to the local piety are to be found on the way up to the Bleggio plateau from the Terme di Comano spa, such as the small church of San Felice at Bondo, surrounded by green countryside and is covered with frescos painted in the late 15th century by Cristoforo Baschenis de Averara.
chiesaSanta Croce, the old parish church of Bleggio is only a short distance away and houses a magnificent baroque style cornice and the cross is held to be miraculous. According to tradition a shepherd made it from the logs of two larch trees as a mark of gratitude for divine favours he had received.
Until recently it was carried in a procession to Monte San Martino to invoke divine help against natural calamities, famine and war.
The existing building dates from the 16th century and appears as an aisleless church with four side chapels and two main chapels added to the existing structure to accommodate the thaumaturgic cross and the Confraternity of the Rosary.
There is an underground crypt below the presbytery, and from there to a very old Romanesque crypt called Cappella di Santa Agata, first mentioned in 1153.
Inside there is a low vaulted hall supported by small stone columns, columns of red limestone and behind a baroque style wooden altar dating from the 17th century.
gesuThe altar features a 16th century painting. The floor consists of black stone slabs which could be an advance indication of a building which predated the crypt. Figures of saints in prayer and crowned angels holding globes and crosses are painted on the vaults supported by cylindrical black stone columns, while the same number of half columns support red stone capitals.
They are typical of Romanesque paintings and probably date from before 1303, the date featured beside one of them. Guided visits of the churches of San Felice and Santa Croce are available each Tuesday - please notify the tourist information office in advance.
.

Web design editel 2000